Sep 20, 2009

Ninja Cat Imparts


The kids (Bambi and Spyder) and the old man, (Jeffery) are asleep and I've got the computer to myself. Let me introduce myself. I'm Ninja. Today was an unusual day. We had unexpected visitors.

Well, maybe Miss E knew they were coming, but she certainly didn't tell any of us. We only found out when she gathered us together and put us all in the spare room, except for Jeffery. He doesn't like to hang out with us. The few times she tried to put him together with us, he was so mean, and poor Bambi cried at the door until Elizabeth opened it. Jeffery ran out straight to the front door and begged to be let out. She always gives in to him! He is the only one allowed out. I guess cause he doesn't go very far. Bambi and I would choose to explore.

I know if I got out I would check out the whole neighborhood and not come back til I was done. I'm sure Miss E knows this quite well, cause she keeps an eye on me and I get a squirt from the Scat Spray Water bottle any time I get too close to the door. But, I just want to smell the world! Doesn't she understand that?

So, I have to use my ninja tricks to silently sneak past her so I can hang out by the door. A guy can just sniff the air can't he? I really must get out there sometime if I can just find a way! After I tore the holes in the screens those first two times I got out, they fixed it so I can't do that anymore. So, finding a way out is more challenging now. As a ninja master, I shall be patient. Everything will fall in place. I haven't learned to walk through walls yet. But with practice, we shall see.

Back to the visitors. Elizabeth's son came with a friend. So, we were introduced one at a time. I can tell her son really likes me, so I just sort of sleepily ignored him, while he stroked me. Ninjas must keep their emotions under control and not let others know what they are thinking! Since I was in the bedroom up on my special place of honor on the bookcase headboard, I didn't watch as the guests were led into the other room to meet Bambi.

Oh, she is such a hussy! Kissing up to them like that. Straining her neck to be rubbed and squirming to their sweet talk. I'm not jealous, I just think her immaturity gets in the way of her maintaining any sense of dignity.

I was surprised at Spyder's reaction. He is always so interested in everything, so curious about everything. Always checking things out, always strutting through the house as though it was his to conquer (well it is, actually), it never occurred to me that he might not be wanting to be associated with introductions to new humans.

Elizabeth had to go hunt him down. Once she finally found him she carried him out to the living room like she was about to show off a precious treasure. Well, I guess he is in a way. Though, I know this family would not be able to function without my guardianship of our treasures.

I learned how to be a guardian in my previous life. I mean the home I lived in before I came here. My Sensei's were two dogs. They weren't very good at teaching me how to meditate. They said I was better at focus and concentration than them. Guarding, on the other hand, was more difficult to learn. I can wag my tale well to welcome someone, but I just never got the barking down to a fine art. My Sensei's did tell me, though, that my deep throated warning meows are very effective. And I must agree. A good guarder doesn't need to come across as a wild cat, or a grumpy old man wild cat. One needs some finesse to carry off the job appearing threatening without appearing to be a danger. Appearing too dangerous can end up in very bad situations, about which I have only heard whispers.

Well, on with my story. Where was I? Oh, yeah. There was Spyder hiding out, trying to make himself invisible. That doesn't work very well if you are going to come running the second a feather toy is waved in front of you! So he was taken out to meet the guests. I could sense his distress. Even though they admired his oddly matched eyes and praised his pretty white hair and complimented him on his little black top hat, he was having none of it. Never relaxed, never warmed up and worst of all, never got the petting, cuddling and attention he deserved. I will have to take him under my wing and teach him how to greet guests more calmly. He has to learn first and foremost, Cats are in charge, not the other way around. If you are going to hide under the bed, then hide under the bed and stay there, while they go through all the wheedling motions to try to get you to come out. After they give up and go away, Then you can make your big entrance. They will be so much more impressed with you that way.

They all went away for a while so we listened to the stereo while they were gone. I love it when the traditional Japanese music is on. Bambi is into the sentimental music called "torch songs". I can see why. Those high female voices have great modulations. They actually can resonate quite well with our own tonal qualities. Spyder is totally clueless about music as of yet. Though, I notice he gets really calm when there is harp music playing.

When Elizabeth and her son returned, this time there were three other female humans with them. It was quite exciting, as they all smelled of fish. I could smell them when they first arrived. They were still outside and one of the girls offered sushi to Jeffery. He turned his nose up at it and walked away. Go figure!!! I guess he still prefers wild squirrel from his old forest home.

So when they all came inside, Bambi and Spyder were out there in the living room in a flash. They were right up their sniffing fingers and everything. Spyder had lost his shyness so easily, it was amazing.

So we were all given little morsels of sushi. It was really quite delicious. We were all sad when they went away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time Ninja! Attentive visitors are always fun.

Milo and Alfie xx

Elizabeth Munroz said...

Yes, we did have a good time, Milo and Alfie. Next time, we can ask for extra sushi for you!

Many purrs to you,

Ninja
>^..^<

(Jeffery, Bambi and Spyder, too)