Jul 21, 2010

Ninja Cat Haiku Corrections

The other day I wrote a Haiku without guidance from The Monk. I am most honored that my Sensei helps me today to make corrections. He's really proud of me for my advanced skills. Even though I wrote my poem in the correct form of (5-7-5) in American Cat English language, the literal translation into Japanese is not in Haiku form.

My original Haiku:

in sunlit window
sleeping cat awakens
golden eyes reflect


In order to fit the form and still have the meaning of my poem The Monk demonstrated how it would be in Japanese:

by the window
cat awakens
golden eye

This is how it is written in Japanese script, which is a combination of Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana characters. In this case the form is 5-7-6, which is called giamari and is still a correct form of Haiku.

窓ぎわの
ネコがめざめて
金色の目


This is how you would say it:

madogiwa no
neko ga mezamete
kiniro no me

No comments: